Adult abuse

The Council works closely with the other Councils in the west of Berkshire, the police, probation, health and a range of private and voluntary agencies to try and prevent adult abuse occurring and stop it when it happens.

Report abuse

Call us on 0118 937 3747 if you are:

  • An adult who is vulnerable because of your age, an illness or disability and someone is hurting you, frightening you, stealing from you or neglecting you
  • Worried that someone you know is being abused or neglected.
  • If you have concerns that a provider of services is neglecting a person, please contact the Safeguarding Adults Team.

Signs of abuse:

  • Changes in behaviour
  • Changes in appearance
  • Changes in lifestyle, routine or circumstances 
  • Injuries which occur regularly
  • Unusual difficulty with finances  
  • Over-emphasising that everything is OK  
  • Seeking attention
  • Appearing to be frightened
  • Changing in eating habits 

If you spot any of these signs talk to the person when they are on their own to see if you can help - they may be experiencing other problems (like illness or depression).

If you are worried about an adult who is vulnerable because of their age, an illness or disability call Adult Social Care Services.
We will investigate thoroughly and try to make sure the person you are concerned for gets the help they need. 

Types of abuse

Vulnerable adults who may be at risk of harm by others because of their age, an illness or disability may experience harm and abuse in a number of different ways:

  • Physical abuse 
  • Sexual abuse
  • Emotional abuse
  • Financial abuse
  • Neglect
  • Discrimination 

Abuse can happen anywhere and it can be caused by anyone. 

Switch To High Contrast Mode