We will be closed for all non-essential services for the Christmas and New Year period. Find out more on our Christmas information page.

Fire safety advice for residents living in high-rise buildings also see information for Fire Safety in Reading Residential Tower Blocks

What are councillors paid?

Councillors don't receive a salary or wage, but they are entitled to allowances and expenses to cover some of the costs of carrying out their public duties.

The Independent Remuneration Panel recommends a scheme of allowances for councillors which includes:

  • A basic allowance paid to all councillors and
  • Special responsibility allowances (for the leader of the Council, Deputy leader, lead councillors and committee chairs)
  • Claims for travel, subsistence and dependent carer costs.

See our Councillors webpage for information about the role of councillors and their allowances.

Switch To High Contrast Mode