There will be some disruption to our online payment service between Thursday 17th and Monday 21st August, due to system maintenance. 

Fire safety advice for residents living in high-rise buildings also see information for Fire Safety in Reading Residential Tower Blocks

Becoming a councillor


You can be a councillor if you:

  • are at least 18 when you hand in your nomination papers
  • are a British, Irish, Commonwealth or EU member state citizen
  • are a registered elector in Reading, have lived, worked or owned property here during the whole of the 12 months before your nomination and election days

Council employees cannot stand - you should read about the other restrictions on the electoral commission website.


You can get a nomination form from the electoral commission website. You will need the support of ten registered voters in the ward you want to represent. If you are standing for a political party, you will need authorisation from them too. Contact once you have done this to complete your application.


Switch To High Contrast Mode