Blue Badges

This is a national scheme that we deliver locally. We use the guidelines and regulations set out by the Department for Transport.

You must provide detailed information about your disability and mobility difficulties. It is your responsibility to provide supporting documents from health professionals with your application.


Blue Badges allow disabled people to park closer to their destination. They are issued to people, not vehicles, so you can use them in any vehicle you travel in.

You can apply for a Blue Badge on behalf of someone else. If you do this, please fill in the form as if you are the person the badge is for. For example, when asked for 'your address', put in the address of the person the blue badge is intended for.

The application process can take six to eight weeks.

We do not issue temporary Blue Badges. 

We do not issue Blue Badges for:

  • a temporary disability such as a broken leg, or your problem is intermittent and does not continuously severely restrict your ability to walk.
  • medical conditions, such as asthma, autism, psychological/behavioural problems, Crohn's disease/incontinence conditions and myalgic encephalomyelitis - unless they cause a severe mobility problems
  • a condition that affect a person's ability to carry shopping

Blue Badge - Apply or Renew

You'll need the following to apply for or renew your Blue Badge:

  • the details of your current Blue Badge (if you have one)
  • a digital or signed photo
  • proof of identification
  • proof of residency

Badges are usually issued for a period of three years. If your application is linked to Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP) with an award that is less than three years, the badge will expire when the DLA or PIP ends.

You may be issued with a badge without further assessment if you (or the person you are applying for) are more than two years old, and fall into one or more of the following descriptions. (You will still have to complete an application form and provide the required documents)

  • Have a terminal illness and hold a DS1500 report (please attach a copy of your DS1500 form)
  • Are registered blind by a Local Authority under the National Assistance Act 1948 (please send a copy of your registration card (both sides)). PLEASE NOTE: Registered as partially sighted is NOT automatic criteria. If you are only registered as partially sighted you will need to complete the rest of the application form
  • Receive Higher Rate Mobility Component of DLA (please send a current copy - dated in the last 12 months - of the official DWP letter confirming you receive the allowance. Please note: Attendance Allowance is not automatic criteria - you will need to complete the rest of the application form)
  • Receive the Mobility Component of PIP and have a score of 8 or more points under the 'moving around' descriptors (please provide a copy of your DWP letter or entitlement - dated within 12 months. We need to see both pages, showing your name and address, and your 'moving around' score).
  • Receive a war pensioner's mobility supplement (please send a current copy of the official letter confirming you receive the allowance).
  • Receive a benefit under the Armed Forces and Reserve Forces (Compensation) Scheme (within tariff 1-8), and have been assessed as having permanent and substantial disability that severely affects your walking (please send a current copy of the official letter confirming you receive the allowance)

After applying, the Blue Badge Team will let you know if your application has been successful (please note that if you are required to attend an Independent Mobility Assessment, you will receive a letter advising of this). Once you have been successful, you can pay using our secure online payments website (find Blue Badge from the drop-down list and then use the 'select' button which will put the cost - £10 - into the amount field). Please do not send payment with your application.

Department of Transport rules mean we cannot send renewed badges by post. Please note that renewal Blue Badges will not be issued if previous badges are not surrendered at the time of collection.

You can report a lost, stolen or defaced badge online.

If you move to Reading, you should continue to use your existing badge until it expires. You must then apply to us to renew your badge at least eight weeks before it is due to expire.


As long as the badge is physically included in the journey, a vehicle displaying a Blue Badge is allowed to park:

  • in on-street disabled parking bays (showing a blue wheelchair symbol). Try to use these rather than parking on yellow lines
  • on single or double yellow lines for up to three hours. Your blue parking clock must show the quarter hour period in which you arrived and must be displayed alongside your Blue Badge. You must leave a gap of at least one hour before you return to park in the same part of the road. You must not park in places where a ban on loading or unloading is in force, as indicated by kerb markings.
  • free of charge on the public highway at parking meters or pay-and-display bays, unless signs say otherwise
  • in disabled spaces in off-street car parks (supermarket, hospital or local authority car parks). You may have to pay for your parking. 
  • in on-street parking spaces that state a parking time limit - the time limit may not apply to blue badge holders. Check with signs before parking - if there is a time limit, set your blue parking clock to the quarter hour in which you arrived.

Blue Badge holders are not permitted to park in bays for specified users such as permit holders bays, unless they also have a residents permit.

Interactive Blue Badge parking map

Rights and responsibilities for individuals  - this gives details of where you can and cannot park with a Blue Badge.

Rights and responsibilities for organisations


You can appeal if we refuse your application. If your appeal is unsuccessful, you need to wait six months before reapplying unless there has been a serious decline in your health and mobility.

Blue Badge appeal process

Change of circumstances

Contact us if your address or contact details change. Return your badge to us if you no longer need it.


Let us know if you think someone is using a Blue Badge they are not eligible for.

Apply for a dropped kerb.

Disabled parking bay

Applying to have a disabled box marking


Switch To High Contrast Mode