This is the old consultation section please visit www.reading.gov.uk/consultations for all new consultations or consultations closed after 30 August 2016.

Christchurch Bridge Tops Public Vote

Christchurch Bridge is the preferred name for Reading's new Pedestrian and Cycle Bridge after 1,847 people responded to a public vote. Thank you to everyone who took the time to vote.

The name emerged as the clear favourite after people were asked to rank four names in order of preference in a three week consultation.

The 'first preference' votes, the results were:

  • Christchurch Bridge: 751
  • Cusden Bridge: 611
  • De Montfort Bridge: 256
  • William Marshal Bridge: 218

To ensure the winning name was backed by the large majority of respondents, the Council used an alternative voting system to determine a clear winner.

Because the total number of votes for Cusden, De Montfort and William Marshal Bridge outnumbered those for Christchurch Bridge. When the 'second preference' votes of those people who chose William Marshal Bridge (the least preferred option) were added to existing totals, updated results were:

  • Christchurch Bridge: 822
  • Cusden Bridge: 662
  • De Montfort Bridge: 347

The totals for Cusden and De Montfort still outnumbered those of Christchurch. After the 'second preference' votes of respondents who chose De Montfort onto existing totals, the final result was:

  • Christchurch Bridge 944
  • Cusden Bridge 705

The name now needs to be ratified by the Planning Applications Committee.

Christchurch Meadows takes its name from Christchurch Cathedral, Oxford. The Cathedral's Dean and Chapter acquired the 25 acres of farmland under the will of Robert South in 1716. In 1902 the Dean and Chapter sold this land to the trustees of the late Joseph Fidler of Friar Street, Reading. The trustees then conveyed the land to the Corporation of Reading, which later developed the land as the public park now known as Christchurch Meadows, including the paddling pool which opened in 1924.

Joseph Fidler had been a very successful and generous businessman, who served on the Councils of both Reading Borough and Caversham District. He redeveloped West Street, Market Arcade and Queen Victoria Street in Reading and also acquired Prospect Park for the town in 1901.

Switch To High Contrast Mode