Bin collection days changed on 13 February 2017. Waste collection changes and garden waste collection charge.


If you help someone in your family, a friend or a neighbour who needs extra support to do things, carers' information and services are there to support you. 

Carer's Assessment

The Carer's Assessment is an opportunity to focus on how caring affects you, and any help you need to support you in your caring role and ensure your health and wellbeing. If the person you care for has a social care assessment or review, you should be invited to have a carer's assessment at the same time. This is often the simplest way to work out what is best for the whole family. For more details call 0118 937 3747. 

Carer's Self Assessment

If you prefer to have an individual assessment, you can complete an online Carer's Self Assessment Form or pdf icon download a copy here [210kb]

The Carer's Self Assessment is designed to help you consider:

  • what care and support you currently provide
  • which caring tasks you are willing and able to continue with and what you need help with
  • how caring impacts on your own health and well-being.

You can request support to complete the Carer's Self Assessment by contacting the Carers Hub on 0118 324 7333 or

If the person you care for lives outside the Borough of Reading you must ask their local Social Services department for a Carer's Assessment.

Carer's Personal Budget

When we look at your Carer's Assessment, we may offer you:

  • advice and support to help you manage caring and look after your own health
  • information about local organisations and groups supporting carers
  • a Carer's Personal Budget

If you are eligible for services, we will need to talk to you to make sure we understand your needs. We no longer offer Carers' Personal Budgets as a Simple Direct Payment because carers have told us they would like more help to understand what they can spend their Personal Budget on and how to make the most of it.  

Support for Young Carers

The Council also supports children under 18 years who have extra responsibilities at home because of a disabled sibling or parent with support needs. Find out more about support for young carers




Switch To High Contrast Mode