Bin collection days are changing from 13 February 2017. Waste collection changes and garden waste collection charge.

Use our virtual queuing app if you have to visit the Civic Offices. Find out more here.

Children in employment

Child work permits

If you want to employ a child you may need to pdf icon apply for a work permit [71kb] for them - you can only employ children of 13 or over. You do not need to apply if they only do occasional jobs or work experience. Children can only start full-time work when they reach school leaving age. has more information on child work permits.

The amount of time they can work depends on their age:


School day



13 to 14

Up to 2 hours

Up to 5 hours

Up to 2 hours

15 to 16

Up to 2 hours

Up to 8 hours

Up to 2 hours

Child performers

You will need to word icon apply for a child performance licence [56kb] for each child if you are organising a public performance of acting, singing or dancing (unpaid or paid) or any paid sporting or modelling events involving children. You must apply at least 21 days before the event starts - send the completed form to CAT West, The Avenue Centre, Conwy Close, Tilehurst, Reading RG30 4BZ or email it to You can also apply for chaperone approval - you will have to make sure the children are supervised at all times. 

In this area

Switch To High Contrast Mode