Conservation areas & listed buildings

Conservation areas are defined as of 'special architecture or historical interest, the character of which it is desirable to preserve or enhance'. 

You can see Reading's conservation areas using My Reading


pdf icon Conservation Area Appraisals [13Mb]

If you live in a conservation area, you will probably have to get conservation area consent on the Planning Portal for any changes to your home or trees in your garden.

You need to give six weeks written notice (Section 211 Notice) to carry out work on trees in a conservation area.

We seek advice from Berkshire Archaeology if we think any development works may damage sites or monuments that are of archaeological interest.

Further information, including details of the Reading Conservation Area Advisory Committee, can be found on the Reading Civic Society website  and Historic England website.

Listed buildings

If you are planning to alter or demolish a listed building, you will need to apply for a listed building consent on the Planning Portal website as well as planning permission for the new building. We also have a pdf icon list of locally important buildings [214kb] which we are unlikely to let you alter.

Switch To Normal Mode