General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR). View our latest privacy notices.​

Housing Benefit and Council Tax support

Housing Benefit

If you claim or receive Universal Credit, any eligible housing costs will be paid by the Department for Work and Pensions. 

Housing Benefit can still be claimed if you meet any of the following conditions

If you:

  • live in temporary accommodation provided by the Council
  • are a resident in specified or exempt accommodation (where you receive care, support or supervision)
  • have reached State Pension Credit age
  • are part of a couple where one of you has reached State Pension Credit age
  • have three or more children 
  • have made a claim for Pension Credit
  • have been told by the DWP to claim Housing Benefit because Universal Credit can't cover your housing costs 

If you believe you are eligible, you can make a Housing Benefit claim. If we approve your claim, we will set up an online account.

You should check the Entitledto website to see if you could claim any other benefits.

If you rent from a private landlord or agency, the amount of Housing Benefit we can allow is limited by:

Paying Housing Benefit

We pay Housing Benefit to private tenants 4 weekly in arrears by BACS. We no longer pay by cheque. If you need to tell us about a change to the BACS details we hold, please complete this form

If you are a Council Tenant, Housing Benefit will be credited directly onto your rent account.

Council Tax support

Anyone who is responsible for paying Council Tax can claim for Council Tax Support. The amount of help, if any, depends on income, savings, Council Tax band and the number of people in the household.

Full details of the Council Tax Support scheme are in the pdf icon Council Tax Reduction Scheme Policy [1Mb]pdf icon Summary of changes to Council Tax Reduction Scheme [69kb]

Claiming Council Tax Support - new claims

You can check whether you are eligible for help with your Council Tax. Any Council Tax Support will be deducted from your Council Tax bill.

We can backdate claims from pensioners by up to 13 weeks. We cannot backdate claims from working age applicants. If you think you are entitled, you should put in a claim for Council Tax Support straight away.

Claiming Council Tax Support - people already receiving Housing Benefit

If you are currently claiming Housing Benefit from Reading Borough Council and wish to make a claim for Council Tax Support, please complete this application form.

We will use the income and household information on your current Housing Benefit award to determine your application and notify you of any Council Tax Reduction using your online account.

Change of circumstances

You must let us know immediately if anything changes. If you receive Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support you are not entitled to, you will have to pay it back. All changes must be reported within one calendar month to avoid losing any help that you might be entitled to.


If you disagree with a decision you can appeal within a month of getting your letter. Details of how to appeal are given on the decision letter.

If you need help making an appeal the Citizens Advice Bureau or Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit (0118 955 1070) both offer advice.

Discretionary Council Tax Support or housing payments

If you don't get full Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support, you could apply for a Discretionary Payment.

We have a limited fund to help people who are in the greatest need. Full details can be found here:

Opening hours

Please note, the Civic offices are closed to visitors on Wednesdays for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support enquiries. 

In this area

Switch To High Contrast Mode