Our site search is temporarily unavailable due to maintenance work. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.

Help with decision making

Power of Attorney and Court-Appointed Deputies

If the person you look after lacks the capacity to make decisions about their care the Council will discuss their needs with the person/people legally allowed to make welfare and/or financial decisions for them. To make these decisions, this person/people must have a Lasting Power of Attorney or have been appointed by the Court of Protection.

More information about mental capacity and planning ahead

Independent Advocacy

If someone has substantial difficulty in taking part in an assessment, and has no one suitable to support them, social services can find them an independent advocate.

An advocate is someone who can support the person to understand the process, make choices and express their views. For more information please contact your social care worker.

Switch To High Contrast Mode