Our site search is temporarily unavailable due to maintenance work. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.

Help with housing costs

Housing Benefit and Council Tax

Housing benefits

The amount of housing benefit you receive depends on your rent, income, savings and the number of bedrooms and people in your household. Your entitlement to housing benefit will be reduced if you have more bedrooms than you need (according to the national bedroom standard). You are, however, allowed an extra bedroom if a member of your household receives overnight care from someone who does not live with you. 

Council Tax discounts

If you live alone or nobody else in your home counts as an adult you are entitled to a discount. People with a severe mental impairment and live-in carers who look after someone who isn't their partner, spouse or child do not count as adults. 

Council Tax reduction

You can apply for a reduction in your Council Tax if your home has been adapted to include:

  • a room for the disabled person or
  • an additional bathroom or kitchen or
  • extra space for wheelchair access.

Housing grants and loans

Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG)

If the person you look after is having difficulty getting around and using the facilities in their home they may be eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant to pay for essential adaptations, such as a stairlift, wheelchair ramps or hoist.

To apply, contact social services:

  • Call 0118 937 3747 (for disabled adults)
  • Call 0118 937 2225 (for disabled children)

Flexible Improvement Loans

The Council provides flexible loans for Reading residents 60 years and over to help improve the warmth, comfort, safety and security of your home.

Repayments are flexible. You can pay regularly, occasionally or not at all, but the loan, plus any outstanding interest must be repaid in full if you sell or move out of your property.

Further details of all grants and loans

Switch To High Contrast Mode