Our site search is temporarily unavailable due to maintenance work. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.

Register for housing


Demand for social housing is high and registering for this type of accommodation is not an instant housing solution. If you are homeless or at risk of losing your home please contact the Housing Advice Service on 0118 9372165 or using our contact form.

If you pdf icon register with Homechoice [221kb] you will be able to bid on social housing. To register you must be at least 16, not subject to immigration control, live in Reading and have done so for at least three consecutive years.

You should read the pdf icon allocations scheme summary [123kb]  or pdf icon full scheme [331kb] to find out the full details.

Homechoice banding

We base your priority band on the information in your registration form. You will be classed as one of the following:

  • Band A: Emergency need to move
  • Band B: Urgent need to move
  • Band C: Intermediate need to move
  • Band D: Moderate need to move
  • Band E: Low level need to move
  • No priority for housing

We may reduce you to 'no priority for housing' if your circumstances change or you:

  • have a history of rent arrears or antisocial behaviour
  • are an owner-occupier or can meet your housing costs
  • have made yourself intentionally homeless
  • have altered your Council house without our permission or are subject to possession proceedings
Switch To High Contrast Mode