Maintenance and roadworks

Road resurfacing

We carry out a programme of resurfacing each summer during the school holidays (July to September).

Road problems

You can report a problem with a road (including bridges and street lighting) online.


Planning for an emergency.

Winter road maintenance

Dropped kerbs

You need to have our permission to drop a kerb to your property. We charge an application fee of £53.50. Further details on requirements are included in the pdf icon vehicle crossing/dropped kerb application form [138kb] and pdf icon Vehicle Crossing Policy [161kb]

If you wish to draw attention to the existence of your dropped kerb you can apply to have Access Protection Marking. You can find out more and apply using the pdf icon Access Protection Marking application form [106kb].

Carrying out roadworks

If you want to conduct roadworks, you will need to apply for permission from us.


pdf icon guidance notes for activities on the public highway. [334kb] 

The different types of application are:

pdf icon Section 171 - excavation in the carriageway [102kb]

pdf icon Scaffolding licence [121kb]

word icon Temporary traffic regulation order/notice [254kb]

word icon Crane/mobile lifting platform permit [253kb]

word icon Section 50 licence [259kb] - this is intended for the installation, removal, maintenance or adjustment of private apparatus under the Highway (you should also download the pdf icon Section 50 Licence guidance document [104kb], and the word icon Section 50 Licence registration of works form. [276kb])  

word icon Portable Traffic Signals [634kb] - if you are representing a utility company (statutory undertaker), then you must apply through the South East Highway Authorities and Utilities Committee.

Switch To High Contrast Mode