Market and street trading

You can register your interest to run a stall at Reading Market in Hosier Street on the Town and Country Markets website.

We don't give street trading consent for anyone to trade in the town centre. When an opportunity becomes available we will advertise it.

If you plan to trade within 50 metres of a public road (on private or public land) you must have street trading consent from the council.

If you want to trade on a private forecourt you should get permission from the landowner. You can contact the licensing team for informal advice about your plans to trade.

You should complete our pdf icon street trading application form [257kb] if we agree to your trading suggestion. word icon Street trading conditions [106kb]

Sandwich rounds and other mobile food traders have to keep to word icon special conditions [61kb] but should complete the same street trading application form.


Street trading in town centre - £5,950 (£500 deposit on application)

Street trading outside town centre - £2350 (£500 deposit on application)

Ice cream vans and sandwich rounds - £875

All potential applicants should contact the licensing team before applying for informal advice on whether the proposed site is appropriate.

pdf icon Reading Borough Council Act [105kb] gives us authority to manage street trading activities and deal with illegal trading/touting.

Reading Festival

If you want to trade over the Reading Festival weekend (August Bank Holiday) you must apply before the second week in June. The application process is the same but conditions apply. 

If you want to sell alcohol you must ensure everyone working on your stall/van holds a Personal Licence.

Trading fees are different for this weekend - contact the licensing team for details.


Switch To High Contrast Mode