Town Centre Changes
Significant changes to traffic flows around the Town Centre have now come into effect, These include:
- Changes to bus routes and relocvation of bus stops
- New traffic flows across the town centre - Friar Street (west), West Street and St Mary’s Butts were one way streets to all traffic but now include contra-flow bus lanes.
The Council’s transport team will be on hand in the town centre for the next few weeks to direct road users and help everyone get used to the changes.
If you usually walk througyh the town centre you are advised to take extra care when crossing roads and to use the crossing points provided
You can use the link in Related Information above to find out more information about the changes in traffic flows, new bus stop locations in the town centre and delivery routes/access restrictions for town centre businesses. Bus users can also go to to the Reading Buses website (link below)
You can also get more information, view the plans and works programme and ask questions at the drop in centre at 6 Cross Street which is open Monday to Friday from 8.30am to 5pm until mid May.
If you need to talk to someone at the Council about these changes please call the Transport Team on 0118 937 3948
The improvement works began last summer to ensure the Town Centre is fully prepared and completed in advance of work on the £850m Reading Station upgrade and the two new interchanges – to the north and south of the station – which will complement the Network Rail scheme.
Major changes include:
- Road closure at Station Approach, apart from cyclists and pedestrians
- New one way southbound traffic flow in Blagrave Street,
- New one way eastbound in Valpy Street
- Westbound contra-flow bus lane in Friar Street West
- Southbound contra flow bus lane at West Street
- Extension of two way traffic from Broad Street Junction to St Mary’s Butts
Extensive town centre improvement works included major investment in new wider pavements, re-surfaced roads, improved pedestrian crossing facilities, more cycle parking and better bus facilities in St Marys Butts, West Street, Friar Street, Station Road, Blagrave Street and Valpy Street.
Reading Borough Council does not necessarily endorse or recommend any of the links or services below. Please note: when you follow these links you will leave this site.
|reading-buses.co.uk||Reading Buses: New bus routes from 18 April 2011