General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). View our latest privacy notices.‚Äč  // //

Report nuisance

Statutory nuisance

Check's information on statutory nuisance. If you feel you have a case, you should fill out a diary sheet describing how the problem affects you.

Artificial light

You should check the website. If your complaint fits their criteria, you can report it to us and we will investigate. 

Noise nuisance

You can find out what noise problems are considered to be a nuisance on the website.

You can find out how we investigate noise complaints in our pdf icon noise nuisance fact sheets [104kb].

You will need to fill out word icon diary sheets [30kb] to show a noise is having an unreasonable effect on your use or enjoyment of your home or other premises. You should be as specific as possible when completing the diary sheets. Submit completed sheets to

Statutory noise nuisance does not usually include one-off parties, road traffic or aircraft noise, or neighbours arguing - although it may be possible for you to take civil action.

There are different laws for fireworks.

Construction work

The recommended hours for noisy works are:

  • Monday to Friday 08:00 - 18:00hrs
  • Saturday 09:00 - 13:00hrs
  • No works on Sunday or Bank Holidays.

Any works required outside those hours must be approved by the Council. Works will only be approved where there is strong justification for working and noise is controlled as far as practicable.

Nuisance smells

See the website. Fill out a word icon diary sheet [31kb] if your problem meets these criteria.

Contaminated land

See our pdf icon contaminated land register [281kb] for information on sites in Reading. You might also find our pdf icon contaminated land strategy [238kb] useful. have useful information on developing contaminated land


Switch To High Contrast Mode