We will be closed for all non-essential services for the Christmas and New Year period. Find out more on our Christmas information page.

Fire safety advice for residents living in high-rise buildings also see information for Fire Safety in Reading Residential Tower Blocks

Report nuisance

Statutory nuisance

Check Gov.uk's information on statutory nuisance. If you feel you have a case, you should fill out a diary sheet describing how the problem affects you.

Artificial light

You should check the Gov.uk website. If your complaint fits their criteria, you can report it to us and we will investigate. 

Noise nuisance

You can find out what noise problems are considered to be a nuisance on the Gov.uk website.

You will need to fill out pdf icon diary sheets [49kb] to show a noise is having an unreasonable affect on your use or enjoyment of your home or other premises. You should be as specific as possible when completing the diary sheets. Submit completed sheets to environmental.protection@reading.gov.uk.

Statutory noise nuisance does not usually include one-off parties, road traffic or aircraft noise, or neighbours arguing - although it may be possible for you to take civil action.

 There are different laws for fireworks.

Nuisance smells

See the Gov.uk website. Fill out a pdf icon diary sheet [44kb] if your problem meets these criteria.

Contaminated land

See our pdf icon contaminated land register [281kb] for information on sites in Reading. You might also find our pdf icon contaminated land strategy [238kb] useful.

Gov.uk have useful information on developing contaminated land


Switch To Normal Mode