Help with planning

Make your planning application on the Planning Portal. You can either pay on the Planning Portal or  pay on our website..

See our pdf icon Validation Checklist [524kb] to find out what information you will need to submit with your application.

Planning permission

You are likely to need planning permission for new buildings and for major changes to existing properties and the local environment. You also probably need permission to carry out minor work on listed buildings, in conservation areas or on trees protected by preservation orders. (see More Planning)


Some work is covered by 'permitted development'. Check on the Planning Portal website to see if the work you want to carry out will need planning permission.

Even if your development seems to be permitted it is important to contact us to check that the building or land has full 'permitted development' rights. In some instances, 'permitted development' rights have been removed either by condition on an existing planning permission or through an Article 4 Direction.

Usually you do not need planning permission to change a house into a small house in multiple occupation (HMO), but in some areas of Reading you will need to apply for it. You can see the areas this applies to on the pdf icon Article 4 map [1Mb] - excel_file icon List of Addresses of Properties lying within the HMO Article 4 Direction [1Mb].


We offer a pre-application service to give advice and help you make a sensible, realistic and successful planning application. Complete our pdf icon pre-application enquiry form [151kb] if you think this would help you.

pdf icon Waste management guidelines for property developers [1Mb]

We aim to make a decision within 8 weeks for minor developments and 13 weeks for major developments.

Appeal a planning decision

Planning enforcement

You can report an alleged breach of planning control online.

Community Infrastructure Levy Charging Schedule 

pdf icon Community Infrastructure Levy Charging Schedule [1Mb]

pdf icon Community Infrastructure Levy Advice to Applicants [917kb]

pdf icon Community Infrastructure Levy Regulation 123 List [260kb]

Section 106 if required

If there is a need to provide affordable housing contributions or contributions towards Employment and Skills, there will be a need to agree and sign a Section 106 agreement. The guidance document that sets out the procedure and requirements for such an agreement and the specific draft documents are below.

pdf icon Section 106 Agreement AHC Pack [39kb]

word icon Section 106 AH Contribution Company Owner [32kb]

word icon Section 106 AH Contribution Joint Owners [32kb]

word icon Section 106 AH Contribution Single Owner [31kb]

word icon Standard Consent to Dealing [30kb]


Switch To Normal Mode