The Blue Badge Scheme enables people with severe mobility problems to access goods and services by allowing them to park closer to their destination. The scheme is open to eligible disabled people irrespective of whether they are a driver or passenger.
Am I eligible?
You will automatically qualify for a Blue Badge if you:
- Are registered blind by a Local Authority under the National Assistance Act 1948
- Receive Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance
- Receive the appropriate component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) for the ‘Moving Around’ descriptor for Mobility
- Receive a war pensioner’s mobility supplement
- Receive a benefit under the Armed Forces and Reserve Forces (Compensation) Scheme (within tariff 1-8) and have been assessed as having a permanent and substantial disability which causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking.
You may also be eligible if you:
- Have a permanent and substantial disability which means you can not walk or have considerable difficulty in walking.
- Drive a motor vehicle regularly and have a severe disability in both arms, making it very difficult or impossible to operate parking meters.
- Are a parent or carer of a child who is younger than 3 years old, who has a specific medical condition which means that they:
- Must be accompanied by bulky medical equipment, which is difficult to carry around or
- Need to be kept near a vehicle at all times to get emergency treatment for their condition
These are only for organisations which:
- Provide care for, and transports disabled people who meet one or more of the eligibility criteria for a individual Blue Badge and
- Have a clear need for an organisational badge rather than using the personal Blue Badges of people it is transporting.
In all circumstances, badges are supplied to the organisation/departments NOT individual staff members. Misuse of an organisational Blue Badge carries a penalty of up to £1,000.
Please Note: It is unlikely that taxi, private hire or community transport operators will be eligible for an organisational badge as they don't usually provide care to disabled people. They can, however, make use of an individual's Blue Badge when carrying that person as a passenger.
How can I apply for/renew a Blue Badge?
Please complete the appropriate form:
- Blue Badge Form for Individuals
- Blue Badge Form for Organisations
Do not use the Blue Badge if it has expired - you may be fined.
If your application is successful we will let you know and ask you to come to the Civic Offices to collect - you will be asked to pay the badge fee at this time. We accept payments by credit /debit card, cheque or postal order. You can also buy a Blue Badge wallet to keep your badge in for 94p.
If you are renewing your badge you must return your old blue badge to us when you collect your new one.
Moving to Reading
If you move into the Borough you can continue to use a Blue Badge issued to you by another authority until it expires. You must apply to Reading Borough Council to renew your badge 8 weeks before it is due to expire.
If your badge is lost or stolen
You must notify the Blue Badge Scheme at the earliest opportunity so we can cancel it.
If you find it you must let us know straight away so we can reinstate it - If you don't your badge will remain invalid and you could face a parking fine.
How do I replace my lost/stolen Blue Badge?
Complete the Lost/Stolen Blue Badge form - if your badge has been stolen you will need a Crime Reference number from the Police. There is a charge for all replacement badges.
If your badge fades or wears out
It is your responsibility to ensure the details on the badge remain legible at all times. If your badge fades or gets worn/torn you must ask us for a replacement. Displaying a badge that is illegible may result in a parking fine.
Using the Blue Badge
Please read the Blue Badge Scheme Rights & Responsibilities for information and guidance on using your Blue Badge.
To find out where you can park, see our Map of Disabled Parking Spaces in Central Reading.
If your contact details change
You must let us know as soon as possible so we can update your records
If the Blue Badge is no longer needed
Please return it to us (with reasons) as soon as possible.