Rent Guarantee Scheme (RGS)
Email email@example.com or call us on 0118 937 2233 if you are interested in the RGS as a landlord or tenant.
The scheme matches people who need homes with landlords who have properties to let. We pay the rent directly to the landlord, in advance. We also guarantee to pay up to six weeks' rent as a tenancy deposit, to cover costs if your property is damaged by your tenants.
Landlords and tenants sign a three-way agreement with us at the start of the tenancy.
Benefits for you are:
- rent paid directly to you, in advance
- up to six weeks deposit
- rent paid during void periods
- property viewings arranged within a day
- video inventories at start and end of tenancy
- grants available for property upgrades
- reference-checked tenants to choose from
- quarterly visits to your property
- a completely free service
Your property can be furnished or unfurnished. We will inspect your property before accepting it onto the scheme to make sure it meets our legal, and health and safety standards.
You can charge up to the local housing allowance rates for your property's size.
You can use a letting agent to manage your property - let prospective tenants know if you do as it may mean additional charges for them.
Tenants pay their rent to us and save an agreed amount every month over a three year period towards their deposit. At the end of the tenancy you can claim against the deposit if there is any damage to the property or its contents beyond normal wear and tear.
To join the scheme all the following must be true:
- you have a local connection
- you are homeless or at risk of homelessness
- you are receiving benefits or are on a low income
- you have no other way of finding a deposit
- you have a good tenancy history
- you are actively engaged with any support services
There are more tenants on the scheme than properties available, so you will probably have to find your own accommodation. We will give you a leaflet and evidence that we have accepted you on the scheme to let the landlord know the benefits of taking you as a tenant, using the Rent Guarantee Scheme.
Once you have moved into your new home, you must pay your rent to us and start saving towards your deposit. If you fall behind in paying your rent to us or saving towards your deposit you will be breaking the terms of the agreement and we may remove you from the scheme. This could result in you having to leave your home.
You can find out more in our RGS tenant factsheet [296kb].