Street Parties & the Big Lunch

Street parties are a good way to get to know your neighbours and bring together people of all ages.

Small street parties are usually organised by and for the residents of only one or two streets. Larger public gatherings which are advertised and open to anyone, like carnivals, are best left to professional event planners.

How to apply

If you want to hold a small street party you must apply to us between four to 12 weeks before, to let us know that you are planning an event. 

We need to know:

  • The date and time of the party/event
  • If you want to close a road or section of road - and its name
  • Whether the road is part of a bus route or used by through traffic.

Closing the road

You must get permission from us if you want to close your road to traffic for your event. There would be a charge for this. You will always need to make sure that the emergency services can still get through if they need to.

Consulting your neighbours

Before we give permission we also need to be sure that you have consulted with, and taken account of, the views of your neighbours and everyone likely to be affected by your plans.

You can find more advice on throwing a street party on The Street Party website.

The Big Lunch

Saturday 17 and Sunday 18 June, Saturday 1 and Sunday 2 July 2017

We want to support local communities to ensure that everybody enjoys celebrating their Big Lunch and this year we are giving you the opportunity to hold a street party on one of two weekends in the summer.

To help celebrate the Big Lunch we will be waiving the usual road closure fee for any approved Street Party taking place over those weekends - so that residents can celebrate without any extra costs.

To apply to hold a street party for the Big Lunch on 17 & 18 June and 1 & 2 July, complete pdf icon the Big Lunch Street Party application pack [128kb] and send it to us by 1 May 2017. Visit the Big Lunch website for further information. 

Switch To High Contrast Mode