Please note that due to essential maintenance, some of our online services will not be available between 5pm on Friday 18th September and Monday morning 21st September. We apologise for any inconvenience.


Personal licence

Complete a word icon Personal Licence application form [78kb] if you want to run or manage a business that sells alcohol. You have to be over 18, have passed the accredited level 2 award for personal licence holders and received a certificate to show you have completed your basic disclosure within 30 days of submission.

You will need to include a completed word icon Disclosure of Conviction form [24kb].

You must apply to the licensing authority in the area you live, not where you work.

As of 1st March 2018, we will not accept Basic Disclosure certificates issued by Disclosure Scotland. Disclosure Scotland no longer have delegated authority to apply Rehabilitation of Offenders Act rules to England and Wales. This authority expired on 31st January 2018. Any applications received after 1st March 2018 which include a Basic Disclosure from Disclosure Scotland will be returned to the applicant as incomplete.

During the current closure of the Civic Offices you may apply for your personal licence online.

List of persons that may be a counter-signatory for the photograph.


Application: £37

Change of name or address: £10.50

Accredited Course Providers

The Home Office has accredited certain organisations to provide the Personal Licence course - list of approved course providers.

Immigration Act

As of 6 April 2017, applicants for a premises licence, transferring of a licence or a personal licence will have to prove that they are eligible to live and work in the UK. Please see our pdf icon guidance notes [24kb] for more details and a full list of acceptable documents. Please note, if you do not provide this proof, we will not process or issue you a licence.

You will also be responsible for ensuring that anyone employed in their premises are entitled to live and work in the UK. If it is found that a licensed premises is employing illegal workers, your licence is likely to be reviewed with the recommendation that it is revoked.

Please also note that if you are issued a licence and you then lose your entitlement to live and work in the UK, your licence will lapse.

From 28th January 2019, individuals or partnerships who are applying for the grant of a premises licence; a transfer of a premises licence; an interim authority notice or the grant of a personal licence, can demonstrate that they have a right to work in the UK by using the Online Right to Work Checking Service provided by the Home Office. If you use this service to demonstrate your right to work, then you must include your 9 digit 'share code' within your application so that we can access the information. If you don't then we cannot accept your application. By giving us your share code, you authorise us to view the data and use it to verify your right to work status within the UK. 

Prove your right to work

Switch To High Contrast Mode