The government has announced that planning permissions with a condition requiring the approved works, or the new use, to be started by a date between 23 March and 31 December 2020, will have that date automatically extended to 21 April 2021.

Conservation areas & listed buildings

Conservation areas are defined as of 'special architecture or historical interest, the character of which it is desirable to preserve or enhance'. 

You can see Reading's conservation areas using My Reading

An updated St Peters Conservation Area Appraisal including a boundary extension was adopted in November 2018. An updated Castle Hill/Russell Street/Oxford Road Conservation Area Appraisal (formerly known as Russell Street/Castle Hill) also including boundary extensions was adopted in April 2020. These are the first appraisals to be formally reviewed under a new community-led arrangement involving the Conservation Area Advisory Committee and members of the local residents' associations. 

Conservation area appraisals and maps

pdf icon Alexandra Road [362kb]

pdf icon Christchurch [1Mb]

pdf icon Downshire Square [609kb]

pdf icon Eldon Square [1006kb]

pdf icon Horncastle [1Mb]

pdf icon Kendrick [2Mb]

pdf icon Market Place [1005kb]

pdf icon Redlands [389kb]

pdf icon Routh Lane [1Mb]

pdf icon Castle Hill/Russell Street/Oxford Road [12Mb]

pdf icon South Park [503kb]

pdf icon St Mary's Butts / Castle Street [683kb]

pdf icon St Peters [6Mb]

pdf icon Surley Row (Caversham) [1Mb]

pdf icon The Mount [532kb]

If you live in a conservation area, you will probably have to get planning permission for the demolition of unlisted buildings in conservation areas and for many changes to buildings and structures (e.g. walls). Further information can be found on the Planning Portal.

You need to give six weeks written notice (Section 211 Notice) to carry out work on trees in a conservation area.

We seek advice from Berkshire Archaeology if we think any development works may damage sites or monuments that are of archaeological interest.

Further information, including details of the Reading Conservation Area Advisory Committee, can be found on the Reading Civic Society website  and Historic England website.

Listed buildings

If you are planning to alter, extend or demolish a listed building, in part or whole, you will need to apply for a listed building consent on the Planning Portal website as well as planning permission for new buildings affecting the setting of a listed building.

Locally listed buildings

We also have a pdf icon list of locally important buildings [516kb] which are subject to more detailed planning control.

Switch To High Contrast Mode