We do everything we can to make sure Council money is used properly and that no one steals or misuses it. You can help us prevent cases of fraud by reporting fraud online.
People are committing fraud if they:
- Claim Council money they are not entitled to – this includes payments for contracts, supplies or grants
- Steal or misuse Council resources – this includes stores, equipment, vehicles or buildings
- Claim housing they are not entitled to or let out their home illegally
- Claim single person or non-occupancy discounts for Council Tax Support they are not entitled to
- Use a Blue badge which belongs to another person or use a Blue Badge when the badge holder is not in the vehicle.
You can report any suspicions you have anonymously – we hold any information you give in the strictest confidence. Please provide with as much of the following information as possible to help us investigate your suspicions:
- Names and detailed descriptions of the people you are reporting
- Details of the type of fraud they are committing
- How long it has been happening and where it has taken place
- Any other relevant details – where they work or their vehicle details, for example.
You can report fraud via our reporting fraud online. You should now report cases of benefit fraud to the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). Visit the DWP website for more details.
Our Corporate Fraud Team will look into any incident you report and take the appropriate action. This may include reclaiming benefits and prosecuting offenders.