You put a lot in to your job. We believe you should get a lot back. A career at Reading Borough Council comes with a lot more than just a monthly salary. You can make the most of our flexible working arrangements, helping you to balance the demands of your home life with those of the workplace. And if the demands of home include looking after very little people, you’ll be pleased to know that we have an onsite nursery that is rated as Outstanding by Ofsted. We also offer generous holiday entitlement that allows staff to benefit from 24 days’ holiday each year plus bank holidays. And your holiday entitlement rises to 32 days after 10 years’ service!
The council offers competitive salaries that reflect our desire to attract the best people to work here, and to reward them fairly for the great work that they do. And all our staff also benefit from being part of our local government pension scheme, helping you to plan for the future with confidence.
Reading Borough Council offers more than just your next job. It’s a place where you can shape your career. And we will ensure that you have every opportunity available to you to progress, if that’s what you want. That means regular performance appraisals and feedback from your line manager, supporting you to develop your skills and experience.
Our benefits in full:
- Generous holiday entitlement – 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays – rising to 32 days after 10 years’ service, with the option to buy additional leave
- Maternity, adoption, parental and sick pay
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Access to a range of training and learning opportunities to help you develop
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Life Assurance – three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- Employee Assistance Programme – round-the-clock access to free, impartial and completely confidential support and advice from trained therapists and legal experts
- Onsite day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan – a loan to help with the cost of your rail or bus journey, to and from work
- Cycle salary sacrifice scheme
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
- Salary sacrifice scheme for Additional Voluntary Contributions (AVCs) to help you save for your retirement
- ‘Your Reading Passport’ scheme – competitive rates for local gyms
- Shopping vouchers and money off deals
- Staff Club – organises events such as pub quizzes and theatre trips
- Eye care – help towards an eye test and glasses, if you use a computer at work
- Relocation scheme offering up to £8,000 towards the cost of relocating permanently to Reading (only for approved posts)