Housing and domestic abuse

You can ask for advice and assistance from our Homeless Prevention Service or any professional that you receive support from (like a family worker or health worker) or the police. You have the right to ask for help from any local authority in the UK if you are fleeing domestic abuse.

How we can help

Your safety is our priority. We will:

  • allocate a Homeless Prevention Officer to work with you until your situation is resolved
  • take you through an in-depth assessment, including a detailed risk assessment using a form known as a DASH (Domestic Abuse, Stalking and Harassment and Honour Based Violence risk assessment). This process will help us to identify the risks you (and your children) are facing so that we can offer the most appropriate help
  • give you advice on your housing options, explain your housing rights and work with you to develop a personalised housing plan to consider your long-term accommodation options
  • discuss options and refer you to emergency accommodation if you need to leave immediately

If you are a Council or Housing Association Tenant and you are experiencing domestic abuse please contact your Housing officer. They will refer you to the Management Transfer Panel and the
Homeless Prevention Service.

The Panel will look at the risk to your safety when determining your priority for rehousing. If they decide you need to move quickly you will be awarded the highest priority for rehousing on the Housing Register (Band A).

You will need to bid for alternative accommodation through Homechoice. We will offer advice to support you through this process.

Following your assessment

The advice and support we offer depends on your situation and the outcome of your assessment.

If you are at risk in Reading

We will advise you to move to a different area – but it’s your decision whether to move.

If your assessment suggests your risk is medium/high

We may, with your consent, refer you to MARAC (Multi Agency Risk Assessment Conference). MARAC is made up of representatives from a range of different support agencies, including the Council. We work together to ensure that any services we offer to support and protect you are coordinated and effective.

If you have children

Safeguarding children is a key responsibility for the Council. We need to be mindful of the impact the abuse you are experiencing is having on your child/children and, may, with your consent, make a referral to the Children’s Safeguarding Team for further support and assistance.

If you need more advice and practical support

More advice and information on support for domestic abuse.