Do you like the idea of working with children in the summer holidays?
We are looking for young people aged 14 to 18 who can encourage children to take part in and complete this year’s Summer Reading Challenge, Gadgeteers.
Tasks will include:
- Talking with, and listening to, children aged 4 to 12 about the books they have been reading and suggesting other things they may like to read.
- Understanding how the summer reading challenge works so you can help the children and their parents and carers.
- Handing out reading rewards and helping children and their parents/carers fill in forms.
- Assisting with administration, e.g. filing of membership cards or registering children online.
- Helping library staff run specific Ready, Set, Read! events and craft activities.
- We will provide training, supervision and support.
We are looking for people who are:
- Good at talking to young children and able to work on their own.
- Enthusiastic about reading.
- Calm when things are busy, but able to cope when things are quiet.
- Committed to helping libraries and our customers.
- Age 14 to 18 years.
By becoming a volunteer you will:
- Develop useful skills for the future and contribute to your community through supporting libraries.
- Gain experience of a work environment for your CV.
- Volunteering can help with accreditation for your Duke of Edinburgh or Arts Award.
- Raise your confidence and self-esteem.
- We will provide you with a volunteering certificate on completion of your service and offer a reference for future job/educational applications.
We are looking for volunteers for Battle, Caversham, Central, Palmer Park, Southcote, Tilehurst and Whitley Library.
We would like you to be with us anytime from Saturday 8 July when the challenge launches until Saturday 2 September – school and family holidays permitting – for a minimum of 6 sessions two-hour sessions over the summer. More if you like! Days and times would be negotiable with the library Branch Manager, but we especially need volunteers on Saturdays when we are very busy.
Closing date for applications – Friday 21 July 2023 but please apply early as there are limited volunteering spaces available.
Volunteer to help at the Summer Reading Challenge
For more information, please contact Suzan Davis on 0118 9373449 or email Suzan.Davis@reading.gov.uk