Street Parties

Street parties are a good way to get to know your neighbours and bring together people of all ages.

Small street parties are usually organised by and for the residents of only one or two streets. Larger public gatherings which are advertised and open to anyone, like carnivals, are best left to professional event planners.

How to apply

If you want to hold a small street party you must apply to us between four to 12 weeks before, to let us know that you are planning an event.

We need to know:

  • The date and time of the party/event
  • If you want to close a road or section of road – and its name
  • Whether the road is part of a bus route or used by through traffic.

Closing the road

You must get permission from us if you want to close your road to traffic for your event. There would be a charge for this. You will always need to make sure that the emergency services can still get through if they need to.

Consulting your neighbours

Before we give permission we also need to be sure that you have consulted with, and taken account of, the views of your neighbours and everyone likely to be affected by your plans.

You can find more advice on throwing a street party on The Street Party website.