Building control

We are open from 8.30am to 4.30pm Monday to Friday. You can contact us on: – Building Control main team inbox

If you have any queries regarding Building Regulation fees or submission of your Building Regulation Application, you can contact: / 07966 965 073 – Technical Support Officer / 07736 123 989 – Building Control and Fire Safety Manager

Building regulations are minimum standards for design, construction and alterations to virtually every building. The regulations are developed by the UK government and approved by Parliament.

The Building Regulations 2010 cover the construction and extension of buildings.

These regulations are supported by the Approved Documents which set out detailed guidance on design and construction and compliance with the Regulations.

Building regulations approval is different from planning permission and you might need both for your project. Even if you have planning consent for your building project, you could still need building regulation consent before you can start work on site.

There are mainly three different application types:

  • Full plans – you provide drawings, details and other supporting information. We check them before approving or rejecting your application. Please refer to charges page for further information.
  • Building notice – you provide less information and we do not need to make a formal decision. Please refer to charges page for further information
  • Regularisation – where work has been carried out without getting the appropriate approval, you should apply for a regularisation certificate for retrospective approval. Please refer to charges page for further information.

Further information:

Local Authority Building Control (LABC)

Planning Portal

Health and Safety Executive website

Site inspections

You can book your site inspection/visit on the inspection text number 07480 357 065 or by emailing Please ensure that you leave your address, type of site inspection, date required and your name and contact details. Please note that we will not reply by text. 

You must contact us at least two days before you start building, so we can inspect the site as you begin work. We will also inspect your site at various points in the building process. A site inspection plan will be sent to you once you have made an application to Building Control.

Please also note on satisfactory completion of the works on site, a final completion certificate will be issued.

A completion certificate is a legal document which you are required to have if you are selling or re-mortgaging the property.


The building regulation charge for the majority of domestic extensions and alterations are standard charges. Some building work will need to be individually calculated. See our charges page for details.

You should complete our online building regulations application form if you want to apply and pay for full plans, building notice, regularisation or resubmission.

Alternatively you can download a paper copy of the building regulations application form. You can use our online payment system to make payment. 

Building in multiple boroughs

Local Authority Building Control (LABC) is the member organisation representing all local authority building control departments in England and Wales. Developers with building projects in a number of local authority areas can opt to work with LABC to get consistent feedback and advice on their projects.

Dangerous structures

Report dangerous structures to

Demolition work

If the building you want to demolish is less than 50 cubic metres you do not need to give us notice.

If it is larger, you must give us six weeks’ notice by sending us a Section 80 Demolition Notice. gives advice for carrying out building work when there are party walls, boundary walls and excavations near neighbouring buildings in its Party Wall guidance web page.