Help with planning

Some users of the Planning Portal are experiencing an issue when accessing applications. If you clear the cache of your web browser it can allow you back in. We are working on a proper fix.

You can submit an application to us in a variety of different ways:

  • the Planning Portal: you can submit and pay for an application online and find help and guidance in completing your submission.
  • by post: if you choose to submit an application by post, please include two hard copies. Printable application forms can be found on the planning portal. You can still use our online payment system if you submit your application by post.

From the 1 September 2019, if you application is invalid and the requirements not submitted within 28 days we will not progress the application further and return the application fee (if applicable) minus a percentage for the work completed by the Registration Team.

See our validation checklist to find out what information you will need to submit with your application.

Planning permission

You are likely to need planning permission for new buildings and for major changes to existing properties and the local environment. You also probably need permission to carry out minor work on listed buildings, in conservation areas or on trees protected by preservation orders.


Some work is covered by ‘permitted development’. Check on the Planning Portal website to see if the work you want to carry out will need planning permission.

Even if your development seems to be permitted it is important to contact us to check that the building or land has full ‘permitted development’ rights. In some instances, ‘permitted development’ rights have been removed either by condition on an existing planning permission or through an Article 4 Direction.

Usually you do not need planning permission to change a house into a small house in multiple occupation (HMO), but in some areas of Reading you will need to apply for it. You can see the areas this applies to on the Article 4 mapList of properties within HMO Article 4 direction


We offer a pre-application service to give advice and help you make a sensible, realistic and successful planning application. Complete our pre-application enquiry form if you think this would help you. Please note that at the present time and until further notice, the opportunity for a meeting for Level 2 pre-application requests is not possible.

Waste management guidelines for property developers

We aim to make a decision within 8 weeks for minor developments and 13 weeks for major developments.

Appeal a planning decision

Planning enforcement

You can report an alleged breach of planning control online.

Community Infrastructure Levy Charging Schedule

Community Infrastructure Levy Charging Schedule

Community Infrastructure Levy advice to applicants

Annual CIL Rate Summary 2021

Community Infrastructure Levy Regulation 123 List

Section 106 if required

If there is a need to provide affordable housing contributions or contributions towards Employment and Skills, there will be a need to agree and sign a Section 106 agreement. The guidance document that sets out the procedure and requirements for such an agreement and the specific draft documents are below.

Section 106 Agreement AHC Pack

Section 106 AH Contribution Company Owner

Section 106 AH Contribution Joint Owners

Section 106 AH Contribution Single Owner

Standard Consent to Dealing