The government has announced that planning permissions with a condition requiring the approved works, or the new use, to be started by a date between 23 March and 31 December 2020, will have that date automatically extended to 21 April 2021.

Help with planning

You can submit an application to us in a variety of different ways:

  • the Planning Portal: you can submit and pay for an application online and find help and guidance in completing your submission. 
  • by post: if you choose to submit an application by post, please include two hard copies. Printable application forms can be found on the planning portal. You can still use our online payment system if you submit your application by post.

From the 1 September 2019, if you application is invalid and the requirements not submitted within 28 days we will not progress the application further and return the application fee (if applicable) minus a percentage for the work completed by the Registration Team.

See our pdf icon Validation Checklist [524kb] to find out what information you will need to submit with your application.

Planning permission

You are likely to need planning permission for new buildings and for major changes to existing properties and the local environment. You also probably need permission to carry out minor work on listed buildings, in conservation areas or on trees protected by preservation orders. (see More Planning)


Some work is covered by 'permitted development'. Check on the Planning Portal website to see if the work you want to carry out will need planning permission.

Even if your development seems to be permitted it is important to contact us to check that the building or land has full 'permitted development' rights. In some instances, 'permitted development' rights have been removed either by condition on an existing planning permission or through an Article 4 Direction.

Usually you do not need planning permission to change a house into a small house in multiple occupation (HMO), but in some areas of Reading you will need to apply for it. You can see the areas this applies to on the pdf icon Article 4 map [1Mb] - excel_file icon List of Addresses of Properties lying within the HMO Article 4 Direction [1Mb].


We offer a pre-application service to give advice and help you make a sensible, realistic and successful planning application. Complete our pdf icon pre-application enquiry form [151kb] if you think this would help you.

pdf icon Waste management guidelines for property developers [1Mb]

We aim to make a decision within 8 weeks for minor developments and 13 weeks for major developments.

Appeal a planning decision

Planning enforcement

You can report an alleged breach of planning control online.

Community Infrastructure Levy Charging Schedule 

pdf icon Community Infrastructure Levy Charging Schedule [1Mb]

pdf icon Annual Community Infrastructure Levy Rate Summary - 2020 [14kb]

pdf icon Community Infrastructure Levy Advice to Applicants [917kb]

pdf icon Community Infrastructure Levy Regulation 123 List [260kb]

Section 106 if required

If there is a need to provide affordable housing contributions or contributions towards Employment and Skills, there will be a need to agree and sign a Section 106 agreement. The guidance document that sets out the procedure and requirements for such an agreement and the specific draft documents are below.

pdf icon Section 106 Agreement AHC Pack [116kb]

word icon Section 106 AH Contribution Company Owner [33kb]

word icon Section 106 AH Contribution Joint Owners [33kb]

word icon Section 106 AH Contribution Single Owner [32kb]

word icon Standard Consent to Dealing [30kb]

Changes to Construction Hours

The following document explains the process and includes a form to complete and return. 

word icon Change to Construction Hours Update and Form [875kb]

Switch To High Contrast Mode