Please note that due to essential maintenance, some of our online services will not be available between 5pm on Friday 18th September and Monday morning 21st September. We apologise for any inconvenience.


Scrap metal dealer's licence

You must have a licence if you are a scrap metal dealer or motor salvage operator. There are two types of licence:

  • site licence
  • mobile collector's licence

Please complete a word icon scrap metal dealers licence application [390kb] for either type. Once you have completed the form, you can submit it and pay for it on Please ignore the form supplied on the website and just submit this one, using the 'Submit application' button at the bottom of the page.

You will also need to apply for an environmental permit if you are applying for a site licence or register as a waste carrier, broker or dealer if you are applying for a collector's licence.








Variation of Site to Collector's


Variation of Collector's to Site


Change of site manager


Simple variation


Replacement licence


Replacement badge for collector


You could be fined up to £5000 if you deal scrap metal without a licence.

Switch To High Contrast Mode