Operation ELF - This is an ongoing operational policy adopted by a variety of partners to ensure that appropriate (and where necessary additional) procedures are implemented over the Christmas and New Year period.  This enables all those agencies involved in the management of the town Centre, from the local authority, police and the private sector, to plan for and manage the additional demands that occur at this time of year.

Each application for skips is to be given extra scrutiny if the installation is requested between the period between mid-November and mid-January. If a job requiring a skip is not urgent, the licensing officer will negotiate with the contractor to delay the start of works until mid-January.

​​​​​​​Check the list of town centre addresses

Skip licences

A licence is required if you wish to place a builder's skip on any part of the public highway.  

Skips on private land do not require a licence. Skips are not permitted to be placed on the highway on certain roads in the pdf icon Town Centre [34kb]. Special arrangements can sometimes be agreed. Please submit an application with your requirements using the online form. We will then review your application and let you know whether your request is possible.

Apply for a licence

Skip companies can apply for a licence for up to 4 weeks by using the online form. If the skip is required to be placed on the highway for longer than 4 weeks, a new application will need to be made. 

Skip licences can only be issued within the Reading Borough Council boundary, so please ensure you are applying to the right authority.

Find your local council

During the online application process you will also need to upload a copy of your current Public Liability Insurance document.

Fees and charges

The cost of a licence is £35 per week and you can apply for a maximum of 4 weeks. Payment can be made by credit or debit card, using the online application form.  

Terms and conditions


Switch To High Contrast Mode