Maintenance and roadworks


Up-to-date national roadworks information

Road and pavement resurfacing

Reading Borough Council is committing £9m to road and footway improvement work, which will see up to a third of Reading’s roads completely resurfaced. 

Residential roads resurfacing

Pavement/footway resurfacing

Road problems

Our road defect repair standards list what we do and don’t repair. 

You can report a problem with a road (including bridges, potholes, blocked drains, abandoned vehicles and street lighting, amongst other things) online.  

Dropped kerbs

You need to have our permission to drop a kerb to your property. We charge an application fee of £76.50. Further details on requirements are included in the vehicle crossing/dropped kerb application form and vehicle crossing policy.

Access Protection Markings

Disabled parking boxes

Carrying out roadworks

If you want to conduct roadworks, you will need to apply for permission from us.


Guidance notes for activities on the public highwayay

The different types of application are:

Section 171 – excavation in the carriageway

Scaffolding and hoarding

Temporary traffic regulation order/notice

Crane/mobile lifting platform permit

Section 50 licence – this is intended for the installation, removal, maintenance or adjustment of private apparatus under the Highway (you should also download the Section 50 Licence guidance document, and the Section 50 Licence registration of works form.)

Portable traffic signals – if you are representing a utility company (statutory undertaker), then you must apply through the South East Highway Authorities and Utilities Committee.