We are aware that there is a problem accessing planning application documents at the moment. If you urgently need to see planning documents and you know the case officer's email address contact them in first instance to help. Otherwise contact Planning Administration.

The government has announced that planning permissions with a condition requiring the approved works, or the new use, to be started by a date between 23 March and 31 December 2020, will have that date automatically extended to 21 April 2021.

Forbury Gardens: Major incident

Coronavirus information


For enquiries relating to Council-owned trees, please do not contact the Natural Environment Team in Planning, but send an email to the Parks Team at Mail.Parks@reading.gov.uk

Overhanging trees

If there is a tree overhanging your garden, you can cut the branches back to your boundary line - but no further. The branches remain the property of the tree owner and should be returned unless otherwise agreed. This does not apply if the trees are subject to a Tree Preservation Order or within a conservation area.

Please note, Reading Borough Council does not manage complaints regarding private trees. If you feel the tree is damaging your property, contact the tree owner or your insurer. 

TPOs and planning

You can find out more about trees and the planning process - which includes work on TPOs - on our help with planning page.

pdf icon Guide to Tree Preservation Orders [289kb]

pdf icon Tree strategy for Reading [6Mb]

Tree work

The Parks Department provide a professional tree service at competitive prices. 

Book tree work

We can:

  • inspect trees and give a written assessment
  • design and arrange the planting of trees, hedges and woodlands
  • carry out tree surgery
  • clear fallen trees
  • design and carve sculptures for schools, and public or private gardens

Please note that if your tree is subject to a Tree Preservation Order or you live within a conservation area, liaison with the Natural Environment Team is advisable in the first instance. Information on tree work procedures in these cases can be seen in the pdf icon Guide to Tree Preservation Orders [289kb].

Protected trees

If you want to carry out work on a tree protected by a Tree Preservation Order (TPO) you must apply for our permission using the Planning Portal website. We can give you pre-planning advice if you think you need it, fill in our pre-planning advice request form.

You can see which trees are protected on our word icon TPO Directory [111kb].

If you live in a conservation area, you will need to give six weeks notice (a Section 211 Notice) before carrying out any tree work. You can use a tree works application for this but there is no obligation to do so. Notice in writing can be via email or letter and should identify the tree(s) and proposed work.

Memorial trees

Complete a memorial item request form. We aim to plant trees during the autumn planting season.

Tree Warden Network

Reading has a committed Tree Warden Network. You can find out more about what they do on the Reading Tree Wardens website.

Switch To High Contrast Mode