About Adult Social Care Services

We help adults with social care needs find care and support so they can live as independently as possible in their own homes. This includes older people, people with physical disabilities or learning disabilities, and mental health service users. We can arrange for someone to work with you if you need help to understand what your needs are and how to access services you need.

Call Adult Social Care on 0118 937 3747.

Social care needs are:

  • Making sure you eat well
  • Looking after yourself
  • Help with day to day living
  • Emotional wellbeing and mental health
  • Staying safe
  • Supporting your family and friends to care for you

We also provide help for carers who look after relatives or friends who can’t manage on their own.

These are some of the services we offer:

Information and advice

We can provide information and advice and help connect you to people and services in the community.

Use the Reading Service Guide to find out what help is available in your area.

Preventative services

We can connect you to services which could help maintain or improve your independence so that you can continue to live in your own home for as long as possible.

We will support you to manage and maintain your health and wellbeing. This might include reablement services to help you regain your independence or providing alarms, adaptations and equipment for your home to help keep you safe.

Short-term or urgent support

If you need urgent help, we can offer some short-term care and support to keep you safe and well until your situation is more stable and you are in a better position to make decisions about your long-term care.

Ongoing care and support at home

We can help you choose and plan the services you want to meet your eligible needs.

If you have social care needs, we’ll carry out a financial assessment to see if you need to pay towards your care and support, including information on direct payments.

We can arrange and manage your care and support services for you or, if you would like more choice and control over your care arrangements, we can give you the money we would normally contribute towards your care costs and you can make your own arrangements. This is called a direct payment.

How to get help

You can contact us yourself or on behalf of someone you are concerned about.

For older people and adults with disabilities including mental health issues:

Call Adult Social Care on 0118 937 3747 or complete our assessment form.

Professional referrals

If you are a professional wishing to make a referral to Adult Social Care and you have urgent concerns about a person’s wellbeing and safety, contact Adult Social Care on 0118 937 3747 or if out of hours, contact the Emergency Duty Team on 01344 351999.

If there are no immediate concerns for someone’s safety, complete the online referral form.

Last updated on 15/12/2023