Appealing a decision

If you disagree with the outcome of your financial assessment, or a deferred payments/interim funding decision, you should contact our Financial Assessments and Benefits Team (FAB Team) as soon as possible.

We will do all the following:

  •  go though the information with you to check the assessment and decisions have considered all your relevant information in line with the policies
  • discuss with you the parts of the assessment or decision you disagree with
  • note any exceptional expenditure (financial assessment) or circumstances (deferred payments/interim funding) that you believe we should consider

If you are still dissatisfied after discussion with the FAB Team you can lodge an appeal.

You may want to ask for support from an independent local information and advice organisation:

Download and print our flyer on independent local advice on paying for care.