Carer’s allowance and benefits

If you need assistance and support to access carer’s allowance and benefits, please contact the Reading and West Berkshire Carers Partnership:

Caring for a child or adult with a Learning Disability in Reading?

Reading Mencap, Information & Advice and Carers Assessments in Reading,
21 Alexandra Road, Reading, RG1 5PE,

Tel: 0118 926 3600


Caring for someone 50+ years in Reading?

Age UK Reading, Information & Advice and Carers Assessments in Reading
Walford Hall, Carey Street, Reading, RG1 7JS,

Tel: 07716 418 941


Caring for someone 50+ years in West Berkshire?

Age UK Berkshire: Information & Advice in West Berkshire
Unit 119, Broad Street Mall, Reading RG1 7QA,

Tel: 0118 959 4242


For all other carers in Reading & West Berkshire:

CommuniCare: Information & Advice and, in Reading, Carers Assessments as well.
233 Kings Road, Reading, RG1 4LS,

Tel: 0118 926 3941


You don’t have to be related to, or live with, the person you care for to claim. You won’t get extra if you care for more than one person. A carer can claim carer’s allowance if they:

  • are 16 or over
  • spend at least 35 hours a week caring for one person
  • satisfy UK residence and immigration rules
  • are not in full time education for more than 21 hours a week
  • do not earn more than £123 per week after certain deductions have been made (e.g. Income Tax)

The person cared for must receive one of the following benefits:

  • Personal Independence Payment daily living component
  • Disability Living Allowance – the middle or highest rate for personal care
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the normal maximum rate with an Industrial Injuries
  • Disablement Benefit
  • Constant Attendance Allowance at the basic (full day) rate with a War Disablement Pension
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)

CommuniCare: For all other Carers in Reading

Information & Advice and Carer’s Assessments, 233 Kings Road, Reading, RG1 4LS

Tel: 0118 926 3941 Email:,

How to claim

Effects on other benefits

If a carer is getting state retirement pension, incapacity benefit, bereavement benefit or any other type of earnings replacement of more than the rate of carer’s allowance, the carer cannot be paid carer’s allowance as well. That carer could, however, have an underlying entitlement to carer’s allowance, which can help them get more money from other benefits, such as an extra amount of income support or pension credit.

A carer may be able to get an additional amount for a spouse, or civil partner or someone living with them who looks after their dependent children.

When you claim carer’s allowance the person you care for will stop getting:

  • a severe disability premium
  • an extra amount for severe disability paid with Pension Credit
  • reduced Council Tax (call 0118 937 3707 to see if this applies)

National Insurance Credits

For each week you get carer’s allowance you will automatically get carer’s credit to help fill gaps in your national insurance record, to make sure you qualify for certain benefits including the state pension.

More information on insurance credits.

Universal Credit

If you and your partner are of working age and on a low income you may be eligible for Universal Credit. For more details and to make a claim please see Universal Credit.

You can get help to claim for Universal Credit from Citizens Advice – phone 0800 1448 444 and visit Citizens Advice.

Last updated on 21/09/2023