Carer’s emergency plan

A carer’s emergency plan sets out who should be contacted and what needs to be done to make sure the person you care for is safe and supported in your absence. It provides peace of mind that support is available if you are delayed, taken ill or involved in an accident.

An emergency plan should include:

  • details of the name, address and contact details of the person you look after
  • who should be contacted in an emergency – this might include friends, family, or professionals
  • details of any medication the person you look after is taking and where it is stored
  • details of any ongoing treatment they need
  • details of any allergies
  • details of their GP and pharmacy
  • any ongoing treatment they need
  • any care and support services they receive
  • any continence products needed and who supplies them
  • any mobility challenges and mobility aids such as a wheelchair or hoist
  • anything behavioural others need to be aware of

Talk about the plan with the person you care for and, if possible any named emergency contacts.

You can ask your social worker about putting together an emergency plan, or alternatively you can contact the Reading & West Berkshire Carers Partnership who will help you make your plan and also issue you with a Carers Card, which will include your emergency backup contact.

In case of emergency (ICE) numbers

Make a list of telephone numbers to contact in case of emergency. Keep a copy of this list in your purse or wallet and by the telephone of the person you care for. Save the ICE numbers in your phone as ICE1, ICE2 etc so the format is easy to recognise.

  • In a serious emergency where life or property is threatened, dial 999 to call the emergency services
  • Emergency social work duty team: 01344 786543
  • Out of hours mental health crisis line: 0300 365 99 99
  • GP out-of-hours service: 111
Last updated on 08/12/2022