Caring can be rewarding but it can also be demanding, physically and mentally. This can have a huge impact on your own health and wellbeing.
As a carer it is very important that you are aware of the help available to support you so you can continue to care without putting your own health and emotional wellbeing at risk.
- Put you more at risk of injury if you need to help someone with walking or getting out of bed
- Wear you out – especially if you don’t get a break
- Cause financial difficulties – for example if you have to give up work
- Make you feel guilty, angry, frustrated or depressed
- Isolate you from family and friends – especially if caring makes it difficult for you to stay in touch with family and friends or stay involved in your hobbies and interests
Adult Social Care can advise or support any adult who provides care and/or support to an adult (18 years+) who lives within the Borough of Reading.
All carers are entitled to a Carer’s Assessment.
TuVIDA Carers Hub
The TuVIDA Carers Hub is the commissioned carers provider for Reading. It offers a range of support for carers, to help you look after yourself as well as the loved one you care for. The help available includes:
- Information, advice and guidance
- One to one telephone support
- Signposting to other organisations
- Carers support groups offering a chance to meet other carers, activities and outings and guest speakers
- Free access to local leisure, health and well-being facilities
- ‘CarerSmart’ benefits and discounts
- Free training and caring support
- Access to Carers breaks – including short break accommodation in Suffolk
- Carers grants to help pay for essential equipment, a break from caring or to learn new skills
- Peer support
- Help to complete a carer’s assessment
Contact the Carers Hub