Adult abuse

The council works closely with the other councils in the west of Berkshire, the police, probation, health and a range of private and voluntary agencies to try and prevent adult abuse occurring and stop it when it happens.

Report abuse

Please use this form to let us know about abuse, whether you are experiencing it or are worried another adult is.

If the situation is urgent please call 0118 937 3747 / (01344 786 543 out of hours).

If you are/someone is in danger call 999.

Signs of abuse:

  • changes in behaviour
  • changes in appearance
  • changes in lifestyle, routine or circumstances
  • injuries which occur regularly
  • unusual difficulty with finances
  • over-emphasising that everything is OK
  • seeking attention
  • appearing to be frightened
  • changing in eating habits

If you spot any of these signs talk to the person when they are on their own to see if you can help – they may be experiencing other problems (like illness or depression).

If you are worried about an adult who is vulnerable because of their age, an illness or disability call Adult Social Care Services.

We will investigate thoroughly and try to make sure the person you are concerned for gets the help they need.

Types of abuse

  • domestic abuse
  • physical abuse
  • sexual abuse
  • emotional abuse
  • financial abuse
  • neglect
  • discrimination
  • self-neglect

Abuse can happen anywhere and it can be caused by anyone.

Download and print our Safeguarding Adults Factsheet.