Overseas Trained Teachers

We welcome Overseas Trained Teachers (OTTs) in Reading.

To work as a qualified teacher in England you must have Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) and you will be required to undertake a skills test before being accepted on to the programme.

However if you have qualified overseas, you can work as an unqualified teacher for a maximum of four years but you will need to gain QTS before the end of the fourth year to continue teaching in England. You can find guidance for teachers trained overseas on Gov.uk.

Teachers trained in the UK/EEA/USA/Canada/Australia/New Zealand

If you qualified as a teacher in Scotland, Northern Ireland, Switzerland, USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand or one of the other countries in the European Economic Area (EEA), you may be eligible for QTS without any further assessment. You can find more information on QTS on Gov.uk.

Right to Work in the UK

Teachers from overseas will also be required to satisfy UK Visa and Immigration requirements. There is more information on visas and immigration on Gov.uk.