Full-time students

If you are a full-time student you might qualify for a Council Tax discount or exemption.

A full-time student is someone who is undertaking a course which either;

  • lasts at least one academic or calendar year and which requires you to undertake an average of at least 21 hours per week of study, tuition or work experience, for at least 24 weeks in that calendar year
  • is not higher education, lasts for more than 3 calendar months, requires you to undertake more than 12 hours of study per week and you are under the age of 20

You will not be entitled to any reduction if you live in a household with two or more non-students or part-time students.

If you have a non-British spouse or dependant living with you who is not a student, your student discount/exemption may still apply. They must have a visa which prevents them from taking paid employment or claiming benefits.

Please be advised that this reduction is only for the period whilst you are undertaking the course of full-time education.  Should your course end before your tenancy end date you will be responsible to pay the Council Tax. This includes the period prior to your exam results or graduation.

In order to apply for this reduction, if you are studying at the University of Reading you must provide your Student ID number.

For all other colleges and universities you will need to upload your Council Tax student exemption certificate. You can get this from the registrars department at your place of education. We are unable to accept any other forms of proof including student ID cards and offers of placement letters.

Last updated on 16/03/2023