Supported accommodation

Supported accommodation is known in Housing Benefit as “specified accommodation”. There are 4 categories of specified accommodation:

A. Exempt accommodation
B. Managed property
C. Domestic violence refuge
D. Local authority hostel

Specified accommodation category A: Exempt accommodation

Category A is accommodation provided by a “not for profit”:

  • housing association
  • registered charity
  • voluntary organisation

Where that body or person acting on its behalf provides the claimant with more than minimal care, support, or supervision.

More than minimal means services that go beyond ordinary property management and whether it is likely to make a real difference to the claimant’s ability to live in the property.

What is care, support, or supervision?

To provide care for someone means doing things for them that they can’t do themselves, this means that a care worker provided by the landlord needs to be present for the care to be provided.

To support someone means that you enable them to live their lives more independently and provide them with the opportunities, tools, and skills they need to live a fulfilling life.  This means t is possible to provide support that doesn’t require the physical presence or a care or support worker.

Supervision means that action or function of supervising such as general management, direction, oversight, or control.  This means that a support worker provided by the landlord needs to be present for the supervision to take place.

Types of care, support, or supervision

There are many types of care, support and supervision which may include:

  • 24-hour sleep-in support
  • Alcohol and drug counselling
  • Benefits advice
  • Budgeting advice and bill paying
  • Debt counselling
  • Emergency alarms
  • Emotional support
  • Floating support for general needs
  • Help and encouragement finding new accommodation
  • Help with language and cultural integration
  • Intensive high-level support
  • Life skills training

Specified Accommodation Category B: Managed Properties

Category B is:

  1. Accommodation provided by a “not for profit”:
  • Housing association
  • Registered charity
  • Voluntary organisation

2. Into which the claimant has been admitted to meet their need for care, support, or supervision.

3. Where the claimant receives the care, support, or supervision

It is expected the admission process should include the need for care, support or supervision being identified by someone a local authority is satisfied can assess it.

Receiving care, support or supervision does not include floating support that is not connected with living in the home.

Specified Accommodation Category C: Domestic Violence Refuge

Category C covers accommodation provided by a “not for profit” landlord that is mainly used for people who have left the home they normally live in because of domestic violence. 

Not for profit” landlords include:

  • Housing association
  • Registered charity
  • Voluntary organisation

Domestic violence includes:

  • Psychological abuse
  • Physical abuse
  • Sexual abuse
  • Emotional abuse
  • Financial abuse

Regardless of the gender or sexuality of the victim.

There is no requirement that the claimant needs or receives and care, support or supervision.

Specified Accommodation Category D: Local Authority Hostel

Category D covers accommodation that is:

  • Non-self-contained accommodation where board or the facilities for the preparation of food is provided, and
  • Owned or managed by a housing authority, and
  • Not a care home, and
  • Where the claimant receives care, support, or supervision

Meaning of Not for Profit

This means all independent organisations whose purpose is something other than to make a profit for directors, members, or shareholders.

Who helps pay the rent?

All pension age claimants must claim Housing Benefit

Most working age claimants must claim Universal Credit.  However, working age claimants can claim Housing Benefit if:

  • The landlord is a “not for profit”, and
  • The landlord or someone acting on their behalf is providing them with care, support, or supervision, and
  • The claimant needs the care, support or supervision being provided

Online claims can be made here:

Information and evidence needed

The Benefits Team aims prioritises the assessment of all Housing Benefit new claims.  To avoid delay it is important that online claims and supporting information and evidence are submitted as soon as possible.

The Benefits Team will require the following information:


  1. Online claim form
  2. Signed rental agreement showing
    • Your full name
    • Room number and address
    • Tenancy or licence start date
    • Total contractual rent
    • Details of any services provided
    • Landlord’s full name and address
  3. Evidence of income, except for state benefits
  4. Evidence of total capital over £2,500 unless one of the following is in payment:
    • Universal Credit,
    • Income Related Employment and Support Allowance,
    • Income Based Job Seekers Allowance 
    • Pension Credit
  5. Landlord’s sort code and account number if Housing Benefit is to be paid direct
  6. If preferred, your authority to discuss the Housing Benefit claim with your landlord


  1. Completed supported accommodation form
  2. Articles of Association, constitution and rules that govern its activities
  3. Head lease agreement if applicable
  4. Breakdown of the rent and service charges showing the cost of each item
  5. Claimant’s pre-occupation care assessment
  6. The claimant’s authority to discuss their Housing Benefit claim with you
  7. Your phone number and email address
Last updated on 07/05/2024