Energy Company Obligation

The Energy Company Obligation is an obligation on energy suppliers to deliver energy efficiency and heating measures to the homes of low-income residents in the least energy efficient homes.

ECO4 is the fourth phase of this scheme and is intended to run from 1 April 2022 to 31 March 2026.

What work does it cover?

The scheme takes a fabric first approach focusing on improving the building itself before the installation of new heating systems.

Improvements covered by the scheme include:

  • Insulation and ventilation upgrades – such as loft insulation, cavity wall insulation and solid wall insulation
  • Draft proofing
  • Improved heating controls
  • Installation of first time central heating

Eligibility requirements?

To be eligible for the scheme you are required to be classified as low income and live in a property that is classified as energy inefficient.

Income Requirements

You may be eligible for the ECO 4 scheme if you receive any of the following benefits:

  • Income-based Jobseekers Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related Employment & Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Income Support (IS)
  • Pension Credit Guarantee (PCGC)
  • Working Tax Credit (WTC)
  • Child Tax Credits (CTC)
  • Universal Credit (UC)
  • Housing Benefit
  • Pension Credit Savings Credit (PCSC)
  • Child benefit (subject to income caps detailed below)

Child benefit income caps

Type of ClaimantNumber of children or qualifying young person 1Number of children or qualifying young person 2Number of children or qualifying young person 3Number of children or qualifying young person 4
Single Claimant£19,900£24,800£29,600£34,500
Member of a couple£27,500£32,300£37,200£42,000

Property requirements

  • If you own your house, it must have an energy efficiency rating of D, E, F or G to be eligible.
  • If you rent from a private landlord, the house must have an energy efficiency rating of E, F or G to be eligible. You must have the owner’s permission to do the work.

The government holds a list of all EPCs which can be accessed by searching your postcode on the following link – Find an energy performance certificate (EPC). If you do not have an EPC certificate you can still apply for the scheme.

Owner-occupied and privately rented properties can apply for the scheme. However, for privately rented properties the tenant will need to meet the income eligibility and both landlord and tenant must consent to the grant application. 

How do I apply?

You can apply for the ECO4 scheme through an ECO supplier listed on the Ofgem website: ECO supplier contact details | Ofgem or by contacting a TrustMark registered tradesperson

Last updated on 28/09/2023