We will consider applications for DRR based on the extent to which the application meets all of the following criteria:
- The extent to which the organisation helps Reading Borough Council meet local needs, and
- The extent to which the organisation matches priorities set out in Reading Borough Council’s Corporate Plan, and
- That the organisation will face hardship if support is not provided through DRR
Maximum Discretionary Rate Relief Period
DRR will be granted for a maximum of 12 months. In granting DRR we will consider the sustainability of the organisation.
DRR will only be granted if there is a risk that the organisation will become unviable, and that the granting of DRR in the short term will make the organisation sustainable for a reasonable period in the future.
There are a number of exceptions:
- Early Years Providers will be considered for DRR as part of a funding formula that targets children and families in greatest need. Both privately owned and voluntary managed Early Years providers will be eligible. Please contact the Early Years and Play Services on 0118 937 3737
- Voluntary, not for profit and private sector providers that are currently commissioned to provide services on behalf of Reading Borough Council will not generally be considered for DRR as they should already have demonstrated that they are financially viable at the start of the arrangement. These organisations would have to demonstrate that their circumstances have substantially changed.
If your circumstances change mid-year, please contact Business Rates and ask for an application form and deadlines. We will look at mid-year applications in October and January each year. You should continue to pay rates until a decision is made and we will take into account the need to
backdate DRR as part of our decision.
An application form for DRR for charitable/ not for profit organisations is available to download. If you need a hard copy, please contact Business Rates on 0118 937 3737.