We can award up to 100% relief from business rates to those who are experiencing hardship. We will only consider cases that are in the interest of the community because a significant sum comes from Council funds.
We consider each case on its own merits:
- Reduction of rates on the grounds of hardship is the exception rather than the rule.
- The test of ‘hardship’ is not limited to financial hardship – we take into account all factors affecting the business’s ability to pay their rates.
- In addition to the taxpayers direct financial interests, we also consider:
- potential job losses, and
- loss of amenities in the area