It is the policy of Reading Borough Council to ensure so far as is reasonably practicable the health, safety and welfare at work of all our employees and others including members of the public who may be affected by our activities. We aim to accomplish this by:
- Providing and maintaining plant and systems of work that are safe and without risks to health.
- Making arrangements for ensuring safety and absence of risks to health in connection withe the use, handling, storage and transport of articles and substances.
- Providing such information, training and supervision as is necessary to ensure the health, safety and welfare at work of our employees.
- Maintaining any place of work under our control in a condition that is safe and without risks to health and the provision and maintenance of the means of access to and egress from it that are safe and without risks.
- Providing and maintaining a working environment for our employees that is without risks to health and adequate as regards the arrangements and facilities for their welfare at work.
- Bringing to the attention of all employees that they as individuals have a legal responsibility to take care of the health and safety of themselves and others, such as members of the public, who may be affected by their acts or omissions at work.
- By consulting with employees, others such as members of the public and their representatives on all matters that may directly affect their health and safety.
Reading Borough Council will strive to achieve these aims by integrating health and safety management into all levels of service planning and delivery. To achieve its aims, the Council will set health and safety targets and monitor its performance. The Council recognises that high standards in health and safety are of equal importance and complementary to delivering a value for money service.
Signed Peter Sloman, Chief Executive 14/08/17