Food safety

Food poisoning

If you are suffering from sickness and diarrhoea, the cause could be something other than food poisoning. The NHS has information on the symptoms of food poisoning. The only way to know for sure if you have this illness is to go to your doctor and submit a faecal sample. The doctor will notify us of any cases they suspect or have confirmed.

You can let us know about your suspected food poisoning by filling in our contact form so we can investigate and take appropriate action.

Food hygiene

You can view the food hygiene ratings of our local restaurants, takeaways, cafés and supermarkets. If you are concerned about the hygiene of a premises or you have a complaint about the safety of the food you can report the problem to us. Before you do so, please read about common food concerns to decide the best way to proceed. If you go ahead with your complaint, you will need to keep the food, receipts and packaging, leave any foreign object in place, and try to stop the food deteriorating further (eg keep it in the fridge).

Food Standard’s Agency

To contact the Food Standard’s Agency (FSA) about general enquiries, visit their website: or call: 0330 332 7149. The line is open 9.00 until 17.00, Monday to Friday.

Running a food business

Find more information on running a food business safely here.

Last updated on 30/11/2023