Temporary Event Notices (TEN)

You must apply for a TEN if you want to hold a licensable activity at a premises not licensed for the purpose. You should apply for the licence ten clear working days before the proposed event.

If you apply by post you must also send copies of your application to:

  • Environmental Protection Team, Reading Borough Council, Civic Offices, Bridge Street, Reading RG1 2LU
  • Thames Valley Police HQ, Licensing Team, Oxford Road, Kidlington OX5 2NX

The police and Environmental Protection Team have three working days to object. If there is an objection then there will be a hearing.

If you intend to host an event in a public park or similar space, please contact rsl.enquiries@reading.gov.uk with the details of the proposed event, including a plan showing the layout and boundary of the event area.

Information on hosting an event in a Reading Borough Council park or open space.

You can apply for a Late TEN but only in exceptional circumstances. If a late TEN is objected to then the event can not go ahead. Gov.uk gives guidance on activities that are deregulated and may not need a licence.

Gov.uk offers guidance on TENs.


TEN: £21